Monday, March 7, 2011

Scenario 5 - The Centre - 2050

I think the idea of authors being paid royalty payments each time one of their e-books is read is a great idea. If this was available now for printed books, perhaps more people would be able to afford to follow their passion and write full-time.
This links in with the new policy being hotly commented on LM_NET about publishers only allowing an e-book to be checked out 26 times before it expires and the library needing to buy a new one. A printed book would be susceptible to normal wear and tear and may need to be replaced, giving the publisher and author royalties due to them each time a book is replaced. The limit of 26 checkouts seems fair (ish) to me.
The idea of blogging software "Dialogue in the Margin" is a nifty one. What a super way to be able to support each other. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have this facility available to us each time we had to write essays?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this scenario, but 26 times seems rather soon! And a royalty every time it is read? Does this mean every time it is borrowed, or every time I choose to open that document? I can only see this being used as an excuse to take more money from the readers - books are already exhorbitantly priced in Australia and putting a 'tax' on reading will simply make less people read than already do. I can understand the merits, but I just don't think it would work. I lend my books ot friends to read all the time - this would stop as they'd each have to pay when they were going to read. If I had to buy every book I currently read, I'd be devastated or broke. I'll have to read the scenario now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would hope that the royalty would be a token amount, affordable to most people. Apparently the NY Times will soon begin charging readers if they exceed a certain number of views per month. Will this flow on to other online newspapers?
    Chatted with fellow librarians yesterday about the 26 checkout limit. We are a bit peeved because e-books are already more expensive than printed books (how is that justified?) and then we'll lose them after 26 checkouts. Having had more time to think about it, I think 26 is too low, especially as most libraries work to very fixed budgets.

    ReplyDelete