Sunday, March 6, 2011

Donham, J. (2005). Leadership

Donham tells us that leaders "know and respect the limits of their circles of influence" and that they act from "an internal locus of control". I can see these concepts being evidenced when TLs and teachers collaborate. When both parties take a role in planning, they each have a voice and are able to make decisions about where their students' learning is directed. In this sense, the TL is able to guide/tempt the teacher to take on a new initiative and, therefore, act a leader of change.
Since beginning my masters in TL, my eyes have been opened to the vast range of skills and knowledge that I need to possess in order to perform my role competently. Donham quotes Collins (2000) in stating that TLs need to understand what they can and cannot be best at. I believe this is true for all teachers, but because the TL role is so diverse, it is vital that we acknowledge our strengths and understand that in some areas we may not be as competent as we'd like to be.
Collins (2000) also tells us that leaders need to pursue what they are deeply passionate about. Having just celebrated our annual Book Week, I realise from the comments of my colleagues that I obviously exhibit passion for children's literature. Of course I knew that I was passionate, but I didn't realise that my passion was able to have such an effect on my colleagues until I was thanked numerous times for the great week of activities that the Book Week committee and myself had planned for our students. I now realise the effect one person's passion can have on others and that this is a fine example of "leading from the middle".

No comments:

Post a Comment