Friday, March 4, 2011

Children, technology and the future

Today's children view technology as an essential part of their lives - removing tech devices from their lives would be like starving them of food and water. They believe that they cannot live without a means of communicating (constantly) with their peers.
I have two teenage kids and they can't leave home without their BlackBerries - they appear to me to be an extension of their arms - and they amaze me with the functions this tiny device provides them and the speed with which they can access information with them. When they are at home, their BBs supplement the social networking they do on their computers.
One of my concerns is that because they have a variety of means to communicate with their peers, they sometimes share too much information about themselves and others which I think is inappropriate. Children need to be taught how to use these new technologies in a safe and responsible way. Although the TL can help address this need, I believe that all teachers should play a role in preparing students to be cybersafe and cybersmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment