Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Harvey, T. R., Bearley, W. & Corkrum, S.M. (2001) - Core steps in decision making

On a daily basis, working in my role as a TL, I am approached by colleagues, parents and children to help solve problems. In perfect world, they would have more of a curriculum focus, but the majority of them do not directly relate to improving the teaching and learning taking place. I think I am approached so regularly because I am one of the longest serving expatriate staff members in the school (6 yrs) so I have a lot of knowledge of the 'culture' of the school and also I am easily identifiable/locatable because of my role.
The six-step approach defined by Harvey et al is a good reflection of the way I like to try to solve these problems. Harvey et al tell us, as a general rule, to "adapt, not adopt" and that schools/organisations must "remain flexible and constantly renew themselves" if they want to move with the times in a rapidly changing environment. For education to be relevant for the world our students live in, it is vital that schools evolve as necessary - just like on a computer, leaders should click the 'refresh' button every so often in their approach to solving problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment