Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Ghosts of libraries past (with apologies to Dickens)

After reading a couple of other posts made about childhood memories of libraries, I thought I'd reminisce to see if any libraries had left their mark on me. Having attended about eight Primary schools (my mother had itchy feet - still does even though she's 73!) in three different states, I had to really think hard to figure out which library went with which school.

Anyway, one of the ones that stands out was in Adelaide. The school was very progressive (for 1977) and in Years 6 & 7 much of our work was conducted by contract, so if our work was completed early, we were given passes to go to the library to use the listening post. How I lived for the times I could sit and listen to stories about Helen Keller, Louis Braille and other notable people. I remember there being a great range of books to borrow so my thirst for reading was easily quenched.

At times we performed research tasks, but I can't remember whether the librarian assisted us or not. Thinking about this library brings back pleasant memories for me, so I can only assume that it was a safe, welcoming place to kick back.

In contrast, the library in my Secondary school in Townsville most definitely did not have a "welcome" mat at its front door. Staffed by a couple of 90 year old nuns and a very stern male librarian, we knew in no uncertain terms that upon entering the library silence was the order of the day, every day to be precise. Giggling and gossiping teenage girls were most certainly not the type of clientele they were looking for. I remember visiting the library only when I needed information for homework tasks, getting in and out as quickly as I could. The eagle-eyed staff and the physical environment of the library did not encourage us to linger any longer than necessary.

Delving back through my memories has been a good experience for me. It has made me realise that even though the resources available in the library from 1977 would be vastly different (dinosaur-like in comparison) to a library in 2010, that the staff in that library were obviously offering a facility which children were excited and eager to visit. Somehow they created an environment which encouraged children to want to visit time and time again. This is the type of library I have tried to create in my school, where children are not forced to remain silent, a place where they can read, play board games, undertake research, complete homework, draw pictures - a place where they know they are welcome. My vision is for the library to be a learning hub, a trellis to support and nurture our seedlings' learning until it takes root and blossoms independently (fits nicely given the fact that the word "garden" makes up part of my school's name).

1 comment:

  1. I like your vision of a 'garden' to describe the library. We do need well trained 'gardeners' to tend to them, don't we?! I agree - we do need someone in the library to inspire learning.

    ReplyDelete