Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Study Visit 3 - University of Malaya




Underwhelming is the best adjective I can think of to describe my study visit to the library at the University of Malaya (UM). If I were one of the students at UM, I would zip into the library, find what I needed, and then be out the door as fast as possible. Both the interior and exterior of the library are tired. The décor is dull and unattractive and there was a lack of atmosphere. No comfortable seating is provided for the students, giving the impression that visits to the library are for studying in a traditional sense. Areas specially designed for, or allocated to, collaborative work were not evident.
I found the library to be old-fashioned, boring and totally uninspiring. This surprised me as UM is a huge university with a student population of approximately 27,000 Malaysian and international students. On a positive note, the library uses a substantial portion of its budget to subscribe to a large number of online databases and journals, so students have the flexibility of being able to access material as needed. The visit made me appreciate the organisation I work in as it is very learner-centred, encouraging teachers to be forward-thinking about the needs of current and future learners.







No comments:

Post a Comment